Monthly Archives: January 2014

It’s Time to Shit-can the LW, UL, SUL, and XUL Labels

2014-01-27 Shit Can Labels

If you have been reading my website for a while, you probably know that LW, UL, SUL, and XUL are backpacking categories for base weights. Base weight is the weight of your backpack and contents minus any consumables such as water, food, and fuel.

Most people define these as:

  • Lightweight (LW) = base weight less than 20lbs.
  • Ultralight (UL) = base weight less than 10lbs.
  • Super Ultralight (SUL) = base weight less than 5lbs.
  • Extreme Ultralight (XUL) = base weight less than 3lbs.

Continue reading It’s Time to Shit-can the LW, UL, SUL, and XUL Labels

I’m An Addict


Addictions are obsessive behaviors that result in negative consequences. I have tendencies for obsessive behavior. Work is one. I must be productive and I thoroughly enjoy work. I have been known to work for 24 to 48 hours non-stop; not because I necessarily have to, but because I want to. This is bad for people relationships. I now have this under control – I don’t want to hurt my relationship with my wife – she is too important to me.

Last week I realized I have another addiction. This one started decades ago.

Continue reading I’m An Addict

Camping via a Magic Carpet Ride


Newark Liberty International Airport

I boarded the plane at 10:00 AM Eastern Time. After two mechanical problems and sitting on the plane for 1 hour and 45 minutes, we finally took off. I was scheduled for a 52 minute layover in Phoenix. Looked like I would miss it.

Landed in Phoenix at 2:12 PM MST. Arrived at the gate at 2:15 PM. Ran to the next gate and barely made it. Of course my luggage is still in lost and found Hell. Landed in Palm Springs at 2:35 PM PST.


Continue reading Camping via a Magic Carpet Ride

Don’t forget to get your 2014 California Campfire Permit

If you are camping or backpacking in California and build a fire, use any kind of stove or lantern with a flame, you must obtain and have on your person a California Campfire Permit. There might be some areas that are exempt, but it is best just to always have one because it can be difficult to sort out the regulations and many Government employees don’t know the regulations either. Normally if you are camped in a developed campground, a permit is not needed. However, sometimes there are exceptions.

This has been required for as long as I can remember, even in the 1960’s.

Permits are issued at most offices of the US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, and the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. But not always. You are dealing with government agencies. You can also get them online at these agencies, but not always.

Continue reading Don’t forget to get your 2014 California Campfire Permit